Hey friends, after a week long sweet spree during the Navaratras, I’m back to doing what I love the most, BAKING. Oh yes! I still have more sweet recipes to go but I couldn’t help myself today to let go off baking. What I have today for you is cookies baked out of a short bread dough. These are the easiest and tastiest cookies on this planet. Its actually a child’s play to whip up the dough and bake them in no time.
As soon as the thought revolved around my head, I already reached my kitchen counter with all the 3 ingredients ready in front of me. All you need is 3 ingredients, 10 minutes out of your precious time and the result is so awesome that you may be doing it every other day. The buttery, crunchy, softly crisp cookies taste out of the world and will go along so well with a cup of hot tea/coffee. You may even get addicted to these cookies just like your tea/coffee ;).
I’m not a huge fan of cut out cookies but this dough was friendly enough to allow me to roll them. If you are lazy to roll them and cut out, simply go ahead and shape rounds, flatten a bit and put them to bake. As there are only 3 ingredients included in the recipe, they do not even change size after baking and that’s the best part. No rising agent is used, hence no enlargement of size.
I used the smallest cookie cutter out of my set of round shaped cookie cutters, baked them for 10 minutes and got 26 cookies in total. If you want larger cookies, be sure to increase the baking time and keep checking until lightly browned from top. Before baking always remember to preheat the oven.
I remember when I made these cookies for the first time, my mother learnt it from me and bakes them regularly instead of buying from market as they go really well with tea/coffee. Homemade cookies brings a smile on one’s face anyday but these shortbread cookies are extra special. I can keep smiling all day after having these, don’t believe me? You gotta try them then!
Shortbread dough is a multitasker, helps you with anything like pies, tarts, a base for many desserts and dishes as well. But my favourite among all definitely has to be these old-fashioned short bread cookies. The cookies just melt in your mouth with an outburst of butter. You will love the slight crispiness as well.
Who doesn’t have 10 minutes, you cannot have any excuse not to bake these rounds of passion and love. Bake them for whom you love and spread smiles all over. Bake them for festivals and for celebrations, bake them for any occasion or for anyone but just go ahead and bake them. These are the basic cookies so even a beginner cannot give an excuse to not make them. Did I convince you enough or anymore is needed. I think by now you should be ready with the ingredients just like I am to share the recipe with you. Lets get started!
- Softened Salted Butter - ½ cup/100 gm approx
- All purpose flour / maida - 1 cup
- Powdered sugar - ¼ cup + little to sprinkle
- Preheat oven to 180 degree celsius.
- In a mixing bowl cream softened salted butter and powdered sugar using a hand whisk or electric beater until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Then add flour little by little in the butter sugar mixture, the mixture will look crumbly first and gradually it will come together to a soft and smooth dough.
- Once you get the dough, do not over knead, just get the mixture together in a ball form dough.
- Now dust powdered sugar on work surface and roll out the dough to ¼th inch thickness.
- Now cut out round shapes from the dough using the smallest cookie cutter you have, repeat same with the remaining dough.
- Line the rounds in a baking tray line with parchment and bake them for 10 to 12 minutes in a preheated oven or until lightly browned.
- Once done, transfer them them to cooling rack.
- When fully cooled, store in a airtight container.