Cream of onion is derived from the cream of mushroom soup which is very popular in the US. I’ve had both but cream of onion has to be my favourite and that is the reason I decided to share the recipe here. Every time I visit pizza hut, I order cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup.
Until I made cream of onion soup at home, I used to think the recipe may be very tough because for me it tasted out of the world. Little did I know that it was so easy to make at home and hardly needed few ingredients. Once I started making it at home, there was no turning back, I made it regularly for all social gatherings at home and everyone loved it to the core.
My recipe has added cheese, so the dish tastes even better than the original cream of onion soup. A must try for all cheese lovers and food freaks. Health freaks can skip out cheese, though having it once in a while is not harmful at all. Just keep count of the extra calories, and burn them by working out more the next day. Skipping out cheese can vary the taste of the soup a lot so I insist if you try it using cheese at least once. Yes, you can always reduce the quantity, but make sure to replace it with milk. If you add 1/2 cup cheese instead of a cup, then make sure to add extra 1/2 cup milk.
The soup looks so plain, white and simple but to taste it is absolutely rich and divine. Seasoned with salt and pepper only, this soup can please anyone’s taste buds, give a kick start to any meal or satisfy hunger pangs.
- Butter - 2 tbsp
- Chopped Onions - 4(small) / 2(medium)
- Garlic - 3 to 4 cloves
- All purpose flour/maida - 2 tbsp
- Water - ½ cup
- Milk - 2½ cups
- Ready made Cheese Blend/Grated processed cheese - 1 cup
- Fresh Cream - ½ cup
- Salt - 1½ tsp / as required
- Black pepper powder - ½ tsp / as required
- Mixed herbs seasoning / All purpose seasoning - to garnish / optional
- Melt butter in a pan and add chopped onions.
- Also crush the garlic cloves and add in the pan.
- Fry until golden.
- Add flour dissolved in water, stirring constantly.
- Now add the cheese blend/grated processed cheese and mix well using a spatula. If using processed cheese, wait for the cheese to melt fully.
- Add the fresh cream, and stir well again.
- Milk has to be added little by little and continuously stirring. Once mixed properly, let it come to a boil. By now, the soup will reach to the desired consistency.
- Season with salt, pepper, all purpose seasoning(optional) and serve hot.
2. You can increase or decrease the amount of salt and pepper according to your taste. All purpose seasoning / mixed herb seasoning is totally optional, I like it so added it to the recipe.