Today’s recipe is all set to cheer my coconut loving readers. The last time I did a coconut recipe, I got a plenty of requests to do more. If you haven’t checked my last coconut recipe, let me tell you it was of course a dessert and was a coconut mousse cake. Anyway lets jump back to today’s recipe which is the very popular Coconut Cream Pie. So, a Coconut Cream Pie Recipe has a lot of ways in which it can be made but I totally followed my instincts and the pie really came out well.
I have cut off some major steps from a traditional pie recipe, so that the recipe becomes simple. Instead of using a short crust pastry case I did a biscuit crumb base to cut short the process. If you want you can still go ahead with pastry. I was trying to go for an eggless recipe but I ended up using one egg to give a nice body to the coconut custard which is the filling for this pie.
Generally I try to talk about the dish I post about but I never knew or heard before of the dish but google does have so many recipes out there for coconut cream pie. My craving for a creamy coconut dessert landed me to this one and as I do not favour repititions, I wanted to avoid the coconut mousse cake I made earlier and came up with this coconut cream pie which totally was worth it. Join me below for full recipe.
- For the base:
- Marie biscuits - 200gm
- Grated coconut - ½ cup
- Softened butter - 80 gm
- For the filling:
- Egg - 1
- Condensed Milk - 1 cup
- Thickened Coconut milk - 200 ml
- Full fat milk - 200 ml
- Coconut Essence/Vanilla Essence - 1 tsp
- Grated coconut - 1 cup
- For the topping:
- Sweetened Heavy whipping cream - ½ cup
- Coconut cream/Thickened Coconut milk - ½ cup
- Toasted coconut flakes - as required
- Preheat the oven at 180 degree celsius for 10 minutes.
- In a food processor grind biscuits to fine crumb, add in grated coconut and softened butter to the food processor and process it further until well combined or till it resembles wet sand.
- Press the crumbs evenly into a 9 inch pie dish. Smoothen with back of a spoon and level it well.
- Bake the base for 10 minutes at 180 degree celsius.
- Meanwhile to prepare the filling, in a mixing bowl beat egg,condensed milk and vanilla essence well.
- Then add in coconut milk, full fat milk and beat well again until well mixed.
- Fold in grated coconut and give a mix.
- Once the base is baked, let it cool down for 10 mins and then pour the prepared filling in it.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 30 mins at 180 degree celsius.
- When the pie is done, cool it down fully and then refrigerate it for minimum two hours.
- For the topping, whip heavy cream and coconut cream (if you do not have coconut cream chill coconut milk overnight and then use it thickened in the recipe) together until soft peaks.
- Top it over the filling and refrigerate the pie again for few hours (2 hours minimum).
- Sprinkle toasted coconut flakes from top before serving.
Thickened coconut milk/coconut cream may not whip to stiff peaks due to less fat content so chilling it longer in the fridge is a good idea.
You can use desiccated coconut instead of freshly grated coconut.