Today’s post was not planned. Infact there was no post to be published today. This recipe that I made today was for guests who were invited for today’s dinner at our place. My mom asked me to look after the dessert… hahaha! Ever since I’ve started the blog, she always does that and I always come up with some dessert happily. We just wrapped dinner and the guests left, so I thought why not post the recipe before going to bed.
Actually the people who were invited for dinner were pure vegetarians. My mother had asked me to do a bread pudding in afternoon but it skipped out of her mind that they do not eat eggs. Actually she always makes it with eggs but I told her that we could do it without eggs too and thats it. The recipe finally landed, which was already written in my diary. Now this diary of mine is really special, it has all the unusual and the best recipes which I jot down from various sources. I made certain changes in the recipe and it came out perfect.
Also, I couldn’t photograph them well as I mentioned the post was not planned, still I managed it somehow. For the eggless version of bread pudding I used custard powder and condensed milk as binders which taste no less than the egg recipe, condensed milk tastes out of the world anyway. You can serve it in individual portions or even bake it in a dish. I baked it in a borosil square dish as I wanted a large batch. You can halve the recipe if you think it is too much. Lets get started with the recipe!
- Milk - 2⅔ cups
- Condensed Milk - ⅔ cup/as required
- Custard powder - 1 tbsp
- Butter - 2 tbsp
- Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
- Cubed Bread Slices - 8 to 10 medium sized slices (You can use any bread of your choice, I used plain white bread. The slices available here are not very big)
- Chopped dry fruits - to sprinkle on top. This step is optional
- Cube out the bread slices and keep aside.
- Pour milk in a saucepan, add butter, custard powder, condensed milk and stir well with a hand whisk.
- Now, place the saucepan on the stove on a low flame. Keep stirring.
- Let everything dissolve in the milk and let it come to a boil. When the milk boils, remove it from the flame.
- Add the vanilla extract at this stage and mix it well.
- Now grease the baking dish with butter nicely.
- Then arrange the cubed breads in order. Layer them in 2 rows.
- Slowly pour the mixture over the bread slices and let it sit for 2 minutes till the bread softens.
- Meanwhile coarsely chop dry fruits of choice and sprinkle from top.I used almond and cashew.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degree celsius for 45 mins or until browned nicely. Oven in every house varies so keep a check after 30 minutes.
- Once it is done, cool down completely.
- Refrigerate, slice and serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice-cream.