Playing up with OREOS is probably the best thing I can do… HaHa! Oreos are not simply cookies, they are so much more than it, they have just taken over the the world so quickly. It is a trend these days just like red velvet flavour is. Off late you can find every dessert in oreo flavour like oreo ice-cream, oreo cake, oreo cheesecakes, cakes with oreo frostings and what not. Phew…. people dont get tired of innovation and that is a good thing.
What I’m going to share today is another recipe with oreo cookies. Oreo truffles are yummy, decadent no bake desserts and need only 3 ingredients for its preparation : oreo cookies in crushed form, cream cheese and baking chocolate. These truffles taste like oreo cheesecake and are chocolate covered.
You can try this with any flavour of oreo cookie. I made them with chocolate flavoured oreos, you can choose your favourite. The oreo cookies should be powdered or crumbled in a food processor and then mix it with cream cheese. The mixture has to be combined well. I used a spatula to do it which was not at all difficult for me. If you find it difficult with spatula, do it in a blender or stand mixer (use paddle attachment). You will get a sticky dough like consistency. The consistency should be such that they can be rolled out into balls, the mixture will be wet but dont worry, go ahead making balls out of it and place them on a plate or tray. It has to be dipped in melted chocolate only after refrigeration when balls harden up. This will make it easier to dip the balls in chocolate.
The recipe is very simple but I’ve taken few pictures while making them to show how they look so that you get an idea. The pictorial description will act as a guide to prepare these easy peasy oreo truffles so lets get started.
Step 1 – In food processor pulse the oreo cookies till crumbly. Pulse the oreo with cream filling. Process them until you cant see any more oreo cookie chunks.
Step 2 – Add the cream cheese and mix well using a spatula. You can also mix using a stand mixer or hand blender.
Step 3 – After mixing you get a sticky wet mixture like you can see in the 3rd picture.
Step 4 – Now take 1 tablespoon of mixture each and make round balls out of them. You can also reduce the size if you wish to.
Step 5 – Line the balls in a plate or tray and keep them in the refrigerator for 40 minutes maximum.
Step 6 – Once refrigerated, the balls will harden up and look like the 6th picture below.
Step 7 – Chop dark / milk compound chocolate and melt them in a double boiler. Once done, remove from heat and keep on stirring until all the chocolate melts completely, It will look shiny. Now dip the chocolate and coat it fully all over using a fork or dipping tool, take care of not piercing the fork into the balls.
Step 8 – After the whole ball is coated in chocolate, lift it with the fork or dipping tool. Dont prick the balls while lifting and tap on the edge of the bowl so that remaining chocolate dips back into the bowl. Place them on a tray and garnish with sprinkles of choice, then refrigerate the truffles for 15 minutes. I drizzled a little melted white chocolate from top after refrigeration. Garnishing is your choice completely.
- Oreo cookies with filling - 30
- Cream Cheese - ⅔ cup
- Melted milk/dark baking chocolate - 200 gms
- Sprinkles/melted white chocolate (optional) - as desired, to garnish
- Pocess oreo cookies with filling to powdery.
- Mix in cream cheese and combine until fully incorporated. Use a spatula or you can do it in blender or stand mixer.
- Now make balls out of the mixture, about 1 tbsp each ball. Line them in a tray.
- Refrigerate for atleast 40 minutes till the balls harden up.
- Meanwhile melt the dark/milk chocolate using double boiler method or in microwave, whichever you find easier.
- After 40 mins, take out the tray and immediately start dipping the balls into melted chocolate.
- Coat the balls fully using a fork or dipping tool and keep them on a tray again. Sprinkle funfetti or chocolate shavings from top. Do this immediately after the dipping process so that the sprinkles stick to it.
- Refrigerate the truffles and after that if you like drizzle melted white chocolate from top.
- Keep the truffles refrigerated, if you live in a warm region, dont keep it out it will fall apart.