Peanut butter is certainly everyone’s favourite in the US and so is the case in India too now a days. Peanut butter has gained a lot of popularity in India over the years. Though I first tasted peanut butter just 3 years back. We had never bothered to buy it until I heard a lot about it from my friends. Even after I ate it, I never knew we could bake a cookie out of it. These cookies are very popular in the US and I decided to bake them after I started seeing peanut butter recipes all over the American food and baking blogs. Bloggers have even addressed themselves as peanut butter lover on their blog. This is what encouraged me to bake a classic peanut butter cookie. I failed in my first attempt, and after lot of trial and errors I can now bake them.
The traditional peanut butter cookies have small squares on them like waffles which may crack sometimes on baking, that looks beautiful too. After shaping the cookie dough balls and placing them on a baking tray, press down each cookie dough ball slightly with a fork first on one side and then on the other so that you get the square marks. A classic peanut butter can be easily recognized by this symbol. I tried doing it but my cookies did not turn out with the marks, still no regrets, they tasted out of the world.
Peanut butter releases a liquid when subjected to very high temperature so its recommended to be extra careful when baking peanut butter cookies. Moreover, like I always say every oven is different and so are the cookie dough balls put to bake. I generally bake my peanut butter cookies in convection mode microwave, take about 1 tablespoon cookie dough per cookie and bake them for 12 to 13 minutes in a preheated oven at 190 degree celsius. I recommend you to check within 10 minutes because it may get baked sooner in your oven or even a little later. The best time to remove the cookies from your oven is when they lightly brown.
The texture of a peanut butter is crisp from the edges and chewy from centre. The cookies are a perfect blend of peanut butter and normal butter which adds so much to the taste. This is one recipe and I can’t stop screaming about to try try and try.
I have skipped out eggs from the recipe, and I’m happy that they come out really well. Using eggs adds to the texture and I love the cookies with eggs too. The original peanut butter cookie calls for eggs and I shall soon share that recipe too. Doing most of the posts eggless helps to cater those people who are vegetarians or those who are allergic to eggs.
A lot of people like to use Crunchy Peanut Butter available in the market but I like to use regular Creamy Peanut Butter as I love chewy cookies. If you wish you can also add chopped peanuts for crunch. I used Brown Sugar
in the recipe as it gives nice colour and proper browning to the cookies.
Peanut butter also possess a lot of health benefits, it is a good source of protein, dietary fibre and vitamin E. So you can bake these cookies without any guilt and eat them with chilled milk or have it as a quick snack, it will act like energy boost for you.
- Powdered brown sugar - 1 cup
- Softened butter - ½ cup/100 gms approx.
- Milk - ¼ cup
- Peanut butter - ½ cup
- All purpose flour/maida - 1¼ cups
- Baking powder - ½ tsp
- Baking soda - ¾ tsp
- Salt - a pinch
- Grease and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degree celsius for at least 10 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl take softened butter, powdered brown sugar and beat with a hand blender until light and fluffy.
- Once done, add in milk, peanut butter and beat well again till well incorporated. It will look creamy.
- Now, sift in all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and fold in using a rubber spatula until you get a sticky dough.
- Now transfer the cookie dough in a cling film and pop it in the refrigerator for half an hour. This will make the dough easier to handle.
- Come back after half an hour and using the the refrigerated dough which can now be handled, make round balls out of it (each ball should be 1 tbsp in measurement) and line them on the prepared baking tray. Place them two inches apart so that the cookies can spread while baking.
- Make criss cross marks on the cookie dough balls by pressing down the balls lightly with a fork first on one side and then on the opposite side. This is a traditional way of making a peanut butter cookie.
- Bake them for 12 minutes at 190 degree celsius in a preheated oven (read the whole post for more information) or until lightly browned. You know your oven better so keep a check after 10 minutes.
- Once done, cool them for few minutes on the baking tray, then transfer them to a cooling rack.
- Once cooled completely, store them in a airtight container up to two weeks.