With winters setting in, my craving for dessert takes a high jump every year. Yes, I think winter is the best time to whip up desserts beautifully because ingredients are so easy to handle and you do not have frostings and buttercreams melting all over and spoiling your hardwork. A lot of people may disagree but here in India, its not freezing cold which means I can defintely whip up double cream which has been sitting in room temperature itself. Anyway, that was just a little information I wanted to share. Well, coming back to today’s recipe, its just not any recipe today, its my citrusy take on the humble “Brownies.” I love brownies but don’t you think even brownies should have variants and that’s exactly what I did, I baked some fudgy lime brownies which are to die for. So join me below and learn how to make lime brownies and flood yourself with compliments for an unique dessert.
I know chocolate is never enough so this recipe may not be as exciting for some, but these lime brownies will make you forget chocolate for a day atleast because of its unique and tangy taste. And I promise I’ll make this up in my next recipe by giving you guys a super chocolaty recipe but for today lets please rejoice over these lime brownies!
This is not an eggless recipe and I purposely did it with eggs because I did not want to miss out on the fudginess but you can replace egg with some condensed milk. Adding excess dairy could curdle the batter really bad so I decided to add eggs. The cake is dense, rich and fudgy and brownies are meant to be like that and the hint of tang from the lime with some sugar rush is all you need.
This is such an easy recipe guys, it takes under an hour and you’ll have this dessert done for your table already. The glaze is super easy to make as well, I also added few drops of green colour which is optional but it totally gives that LIME feel which is my recipe hero for the day!
- For the cake:
- Softened Butter - ⅔ cup
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Eggs - 2 (at room temperature)
- Fresh lime juice - ¼ cup
- Lime zest - from 4 limes
- All purpose flour - 1¼ cup
- For the glaze:
- Softened Butter - 1 tsp
- Icing sugar - 1 cup
- Lime Juice - ¼ cup
- Lime Zest - from 2 limes
- Green Food Colour - 1 or 2 drops (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 degree celsius.
- Grease a 9*9 inch square pan with butter and line it well with parchment paper. Keep aside.
- In a mixing bowl cream butter and sugar well with the help of a hand blender until light and fluffy.
- Then add eggs, mixing well before each addition.
- Now mix in lime juice and lime zest. At this point you will notice the mixture curdling but do not worry, just keep beating.
- Add the flour in three additions and you will see the batter coming back together smoothly.
- Once batter is ready, transfer it into the prepared pan and level it well using a spatula for an even top.
- Let it bake for 25 mins in a preheated oven for 180 degree celsius.
- Meanwhile for the glaze, take a mixing bowl and add in the butter and whisk well.
- Then add lime juice and continue beating. Start adding icing sugar gradually and whisk well until you achieve a smooth glaze.
- Finish with lime zest and green food colour (optional).
- When the brownies are done, let them cool down fully on a wire rack.
- Spread the prepared glaze on top and cut into squares.
- Keep them refrigerated until serving.