Caramel plays a very important role in candy making as we all know. It is a process of cooking sugar till it turns medium to dark. though candy making can be a tough process to do at home as we would need few equipments and have to take safety measures to do it, the best use of caramel in my opinion is to make caramel/buttersctoch sauce out of it. It turns out to be rich, buttery and luscious. This sauce can be used in a wide variety of desserts like cakes, cupcakes, ice-creams etc. You can also simply smear it on a chapati or spread it on a toast and have it as a snack.
So, today I’ll share how to make the easiest caramel sauce at home with a handful of ingredients. Caramel Sauce is really simple to make and gets ready instantly. On one hand the recipe is simple, but it can be quite tricky , one has to have patience. Sugar cooking has to be taken care of very carefully to avoid crytallisation. If sugar crystalises, the caramel will turn out to be gritty. If proper care is taken, you will get a smooth and luscious caramel sauce. I’ll write the entire process in detail and do take care that you follow each and every step carefully to achieve that delicious caramel sauce.
- Granulated Sugar - 1 cup
- Water - ¼ cup
- Butter (cut into cubes) - 6 Tbsp
- Fresh Cream (I used Amul) - ½ cup (at room temperature)
- Start by taking a thick bottomed saucepan, without starting the heat/flame first add in the sugar and water, mix with wooden spatula just a little until all the sugar gets wet.
- Start the flame/heat, keep it on medium as high heat would burn the sugar.
- Do not touch the sugar with spatula anymore, just let it melt away and wait for the sugar to change color.
- It may take few minutes but please be patient, you can swirl the saucepan holding its handle but no poking with spatula.
- Once sugar starts changing its color, be more careful.
- You will see first the sugar will change into light brown color, you have to take it further and let it change to amber color, once that is achieved, start doing rest of the process.
- In this step, you should take help, just ask someone to add the butter spoon by spoon and meanwhile stir the caramel vigorously otherwise caramel will seize. Use a wooden spatula.
- It will release a lot of steam and will bubble vigorously so be careful.
- All this while,the heat should remain on medium.
- After adding the butter, take it off heat and then add the cream.
- Pour the cream carefully and keep stirring with the spatula, it will again release steam.
- The cream will dissolve fully into the sauce.
- End result should be smooth,creamy and luscious.
- If making salted caramel sauce, just add one teaspoon sea salt in the sauce.
- You can strain your sauce if you find some lumps or grits.
- Cool it down completely and then you can store it in a air tight jar and keep it refrigerated for about a month.