Digestive biscuits are something which is very common in every Indian household today. These biscuits are not a latest invention, though it started trending in India a lot after it was actually found. Digestive Biscuits are of English origin and was found in the year 1839 in The United Kingdom. It got the name digestive biscuits due to its antacid properties which it derived from the use of soda bicarbonate. The biscuit has got a semi sweet taste and is often referred to as a healthier option as compared to other biscuits.
Most of the Indian biscuit brands have now started manufacturing these biscuits and it is flooded all over the Indian marketplace. Well, I know all of you or most of you consume digestive biscuits over regular cookies/biscuits but did you know that you can make your digestive biscuits at home and it can be done without any headache or mess. Its so simple that you may not want to buy these biscuits after you try making them at home once.
The taste is almost the same like store bought ones. When I made them first, I never thought that they would taste so good. The use of whole wheat flour and oats totally works like a winner for this recipe. Also, using brown sugar or coconut sugar is recommended to retain it as a healthy option. The amount of butter that goes into the biscuit is also minimum so I’m sure you remain guilt free while consuming these homemade treats. Pair them with a cup of tea or coffee, simply snack on them or just go ahead make some cheesecake base or pie base out of them.
- Whole wheat flour - ¾ cup
- Oats flour (pulse regular oats in a food processor) - ¾ cup
- Brown sugar (powdered) - ½ cup
- Baking soda - ½ tsp
- Softened butter - 60 gms
- Milk - 3 to 4 tbsp or as required
- In a mixing bowl, add in whole wheat flour, oats flour, powdered brown sugar, baking soda and whisk them well using a wire whisk.
- Now put in the softened room temperature butter and rub it well with the dry mixture until the start looking like bread crumbs.
- Once you get the bread crumb texture, add in 3 to 4 tbsp milk and mix well to make a dough. Do not work much on the dough.
- Once all the mixture comes together as a dough, wrap in a cling film and refrigerate it for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 180 degree celsius and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- After 10 mins, take out the dough from refrigerator and get ready to roll it out.
- On a clean work surface, sprinkle whole wheat flour and keep the dough, flatten it a bit and start rolling it out with a rolling pin.
- You will see, the dough breaks, but using your hand keep gathering the dough and continue rolling until its ¼ cm thick.
- Use a round cookie cutter (the standard size) and re roll rest of the dough until you get biscuits out of the whole dough.
- Line the biscuits on the baking tray and bake them for around 15 mins in a preheated oven at 180 degree celsius. Like I say always, all the ovens are different to keep a check, you may bake them a little more or less accordingly.
- Once baked, cool them fully on a wire rack and store in an air tight jar.
Recipe Credits: Cook with Priyanka