Food tastes great in every form, be it using the original recipe or a deconstructed version, what matters above all is the taste! Key lime pie is a popular American dessert which is made up of egg yolks, key lime juice, condensed milk and is served in a pie crust topped with whipped cream. What I have for you today is an easier and stress free version of the same pie, just that I have made some major changes wherein the pie is eggless, pie crust is made up of cookie crumbs, my key lime pie is a no bake version which reduces half the stress and time, last but not the least I have not used a regular pie mould, instead served them in individual portions. Don’t these look pretty?
The other day, my dad invited someone at home over lunch and he asked me to do an eye catchy dessert. haha! Even my dad is slowly getting the hang for my desserts. I did not have much time, so I thought of doing something really simple and easy. As usual I logged in to Pinterest to wander and bang on! I got stuck over a key lime pie recipe. That recipe had eggs and I did not want to use them, so I came up with my own version. Hope you guys like it, grab the recipe from below and do try it out! Feel free to write your views in the comments section.
- For the base:
- Marie biscuits/graham crackers - 15
- Melted butter - ¼ cup
- For the filling:
- Sweetened Heavy Whipping Cream - 1 cup
- Condensed milk - ¼ cup (If using unsweetened heavy whipping cream, add ½ cup of condensed milk)
- Key lime juice - Juice from two key limes
- For the glaze (optional):
- Key lime juice - juice from 1 lime
- Water - ¼ cup
- Sugar - ¼ cup
- Green food colour - ½ tsp
- To make the base, blitz marie biscuits to fine crumbs in a food processor.
- Add melted butter to the biscuits crumbs and mix well until it resembles wet sand texture.
- Take 6 shot glasses or bowls, and spoon 2 teaspoon of the mitxture into each bowl, press them using the back of a spoon and level it smooth.
- Keep these bowls in the refrigerator for 15 minutes or so until the butter sets and the mixture firms up.
- Meanwhile prepare the filling, beat 1 cup of whipping cream until stiff peaks or pipeable. If you do want to pipe, beat until soft peaks.
- In another bowl, mix well condensed milk and lime juice, add into the whipped cream.
- Fold in gently until everything mixes well.
- Take a piping bag and put in a nozzle of your choice.
- Transfer filling into the piping bag, and start piping each bowl on top of the biscuit base.
- Once all are done, chill them in the refrigerator till you serve.
- Now doing the glaze is optional but I did it to beautify my dessert as I like colours. For the glaze, in a sauce pan add in water, lime juice, sugar, green food colour and let it simmer for 3 to 4 mins while continuously stirring.
- When done, let it cool down fully and then drizzle over the mini key lime pies.
- Garnish the mini pies with lime wedges, chill and serve.