This Ricotta, Chocolate and Cherry Tart had been on my mind for quite sometime now. The reason I couldn’t make it was unavailability of Ricotta Cheese in my city. It still isn’t available so are you wondering how I came up with dessert.
Well, its rightly said, when there is a will, there is a way! So yes, I made my own ricotta cheese at home which is ofcourse a substitute but it works like a dream in my all my recipes that call for ricotta cheese. I have shared recipe for the same in my previous post so do check it out and make some rich and creamy ricotta cheese at home. Here’s the link – Homemade Ricotta Cheese
This dessert is a beautiful combination of short crust pastry covered in dark chocolate, filled in with ricotta cheese mixture and topped with cherries. If you can find fresh cherries, use them. I have used canned cherries for this recipe. Keep reading for full recipe below and do try out this dessert if you love ricotta.
- For the short crust pastry case:
- All purpose flour - 200 gm
- Butter - 100 gm
- Chilled water - 2 to 3 tbsp
- For the filling:
- Melted dark chocolate - 80 to 100 gms
- Ricotta Cheese - 170 gm
- Heavy Whipping Cream - 1 cup
- Condensed Milk - ¼ cup or more if you like it sweeter
- Vanilla Extract - 2 tsp
- Lime zest - from 1 whole lime
- For the topping:
- Cherries - ½ cup
- Grease and dust a 9 inch pie dish, keep aside.
- To make short crust pastry dough, in a mixing bowl sift in all purpose flour.
- Now add in butter cubes. Butter should not be softened, it should be right out of the refrigerator.
- If you have a kitchen aid mixer, use that. I used my hand to mix in butter and rubbed with my fingertips until the mixture started looking like fine bread crumbs.
- Now add 3 tbsp water and make a firm dough.
- Bring out the dough on a lightly floured surface knead it well. Do not overdo.
- Once done, wrap it in a cling film and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare the ricotta filling.
- In a mixing bowl whip the cream to soft peaks, then add in ricotta cheese, condensed milk, lime zest, vanilla extract and continue beating until well combined. Refrigerate the filling until use.
- After 2 hours bring out the dough from the refrigerator and let the butter soften a bit before rolling.
- Do not forget to preheat the oven at 180 degree celcius.
- Then roll the chilled dough on a floured work surface, roll it out to a large circle with even tihickness.
- Now, lift the rolled dough carefully and press it carefully into the mould cavity till edges, and cut off the extras.
- Line the dough with a sheet of parchment and add your baking beans, I use chickpeas or rajma mostly. Yes! you need to blind bake the pastry.
- Bake for 15 mins in a preheated oven at 180 degree celsius with the baking beans on.
- Then remove the baking beans and bake for 5 more minutes.
- Once your case is ready, let it cool down fully.
- When cooled, melt the dark chocolate and spread a thin layer on top of the crust. The chocolate layer should be thin otherwise it will be difficult to cut the pastry.
- Let the chocolate set in the refrigerator for 5 minutes, and then its ready to fill with ricotta mixture.
- Spread the ricotta mixture evenly throughout the pastry case.
- Top with cherries and you are ready to serve. Keep refrigerated until served.