Roasted chicken is a popular dish all over the world. Roasting is a style of cooking basically. Originally roasting was done by exposing the chicken to direct fire and it got cooked in its own juices or the applied marinade. Now a days ovens have the rotisserie mode where chicken can be easily roasted at home too. I have used the same technique but I did not use the rod to hang the chicken to move in circular motion. I simply roasted the chicken on a tray with help of aluminium foil. You will be able to see it as you read the whole post. I think this method is easy and avoids mess.
Every country has a different way of roasting chicken according to the availability of spices. Roast chicken or turkey is also served during Thanks Giving in the US. Non Indians prefer eating plain food without addition of too many spices, hence roasted chicken – Indian style is definitely spicier and hotter than others.
I totally love the recipe that I’m going to share today. The recipe was difficult to explain simply by words so I have used step by step pictures to make the explanation easier. Do try this out if you love chicken. It is not as complicated as you may think.
Step 1 – In a food processor, add in chopped tomato, garlic, ginger, onion and grind to a paste.
Step 4 – Then add in the tomato, onion, garlic and ginger paste.
Step 5 – Throw in turmeric powder.
Step 8 – Continue adding cumin powder.
Step 9 – Add garam masala, I used homemade garam masala for that extra richness.
Step 12 – Throw in fresh curd, this enhances the taste.
Step 13 – Pour in a dash of any vegetable oil/olive oil. I used canola oil. Mix everything well using a spoon.
Step 14 – Your marinade is ready. It will look image no. 14.
Step 15 – Once the marinade is ready, keep it aside. Now take a tray.
Step 16 – Line the tray with a sheet of aluminium foil.
Step 17 – Wash the whole chicken nicely and drain out all the moisture in it. Use skinned chicken if you wish. I used without skin for this recipe. Also I used a 1/2 kg chicken for this recipe which is not very big and all the measurements are according to it. Place the chicken over the aluminium foil.
Step 19 – Then stuff in whole coriander seeds.
Step 20 – Now put in a green chilli broken into two.
Step 23 – Now squeeze little lemon juice and add in half the lemon too.
Step 26 – At this point, be sure to make slits/cuts on the chicken all over so that the marinade soaks in nicely.
Step 27 – Once you are done brushing marinade on one side, flip the chicken carefully on the other side. Now start brushing marinade generously on this side.
Step 28 – Once brushed nicely all over the chicken, it will look like image no. 28 which is fully covered with marinade.Step 29 – After the chicken is fully covered with marinade, pack it with the foil from all sides like I have done in image no. 29. I do this so that the marinade stays intact over the chicken.
Step 30 – Leave the marinated chicken in the refrigerator for few hours or may be overnight if you have time. I generally refrigerate it for 2 hours and thats enough for me. Even if you want to make it instantly, you can, I have tried it and the outcome is good.
Step 31 – Once the chicken has got its time to rest and soaked in juices from the marinade, take it out of the refrigerator, and cover with another sheet of aluminium foil from top.
Step 32 – Now that the chicken is covered from top, its time to roast!
Step 34 – After 45 minutes, remove the top foil and continue roasting for 10 minutes more.
Step 35 – Once done, the chicken should look like image no. 35 with that roasted pattern. Your whole chicken roast is ready. Serve with salads and green chutney.
- For the marinade: Tomato - 1 (large)
- Ginger - 1 (1 inch piece)
- Garlic - 5 to 6 cloves
- Onion - 1 (medium)
- Melted butter - ¼ cup
- Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
- Red chilli powder - ½ tsp
- Cumin powder - ½ tsp
- Coriander powder - ½ tsp
- Garam masala - ½ tsp
- Dry mango powder - 1 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Yoghurt/curd - 2 tsp
- Oil - 1 tsp
- For the stuffing: Whole cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Whole coriander seeds - 1 tsp
- Whole cloves - 2
- Whole green cardamom - 2
- Cinnamon stick - 1
- Green chiili - 1
- Onion - ½
- Lemon - ½
- Begin with washing the chicken nicely and drain the moisture fully. Keep aside.
- To start making the marinade, start with making a paste out of tomato, ginger, garlic and onion. Grind them into paste in a food processor. Keep aside.
- Now melt butter and keep ready.
- In a fresh mixing bowl, add in butter, prepared tomato paste, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala, dry mango powder/amchur, salt, curd, oil and mix well using a spoon. Your marinade paste is ready.
- Now take a tray, line with an aluminium foil and keep the whole chicken on it.
- Stuff the chicken at this stage. Add in whole coriander seeds, whole cumin seeds, whole clove, whole green cardamom, whole cinnamon, green chilli broken into two, half onion, half lemon and push all these inside the chicken.
- Start brushing chicken with the marinade now. Brush the marinade generously all over the chicken. Once completed on the first side, flip it over the other side and continue brushing marinade generously.
- While coating with marinade, dont forget to make slits/cuts all over the chicken so that marinade soaks in and make the chicken juicy and tender on being cooked.
- When the chicken completely coated with marinade pack the chicken with foil. You can see how in step by step pictures.
- Now refrigerate the chicken for atleast 2 hours, overnight is preferred but for me 2 hours or even instantly is good.
- Once the chicken has got its marination time, take out of the refrigerator, and cover with another aluminium foil from top.
- Preheat oven to 200 degree celsius for 10 minutes atleast.
- Now, put the chicken in the oven and on rotisserie mode roast it for 45 minutes at 190 degree celsius.
- After 45 minutes, remove the foil from top and roast for 10 minutes more.
- Your chicken roast - Indian style is ready to eat.
- Serve with salad and green chutney.