Today’s recipe is about a healthy version of everyone’s favourite, CHOCOLATE CAKE. Yes, chocolate cake can be healthy too. I have been trying this recipe for sometime now , finally got it right and ready to share the recipe here. I have used whole wheat flour instead of all purpose flour in the recipe. I also replaced normal sugar with brown sugar for the recipe. Brown sugar is not very low in calorie, still a little healthier than normal sugar. THE HEALTHIER THE BETTER! Moreover brown sugar also gives a deeper colour and is perfect for any chocolate cake recipe.
You wont be totally guilt free after eating this cake, but to some extent you will feel better. I tried this recipe using stevia which is a natural sugar substitute but that did not turn out satisfactory hence, added brown sugar in the recipe. Whole wheat flour changes texture of the cake making it denser and rich in taste. This cake is egg free too which again cuts off few calories, yoghurt is used as a binder in the recipe. Butter is also cut off from the recipe and I used canola oil, you may use any mild flavoured oil like vegetable oil.
The cake turns out really soft so be gentle with it while demoulding, you may also feel that it is raw and sticky but whole wheat cakes are moist and dense plus using oil instead of butter makes it moister. Trust me, the taste of this cake is heavenly, I love moist bakes.
If you do not like dense cakes, or want a crumbly and fluffy texture just replace whole wheat flour with all purpose flour in same quantity, rest of the recipe will remain same. Keep in mind that this cake will not rise and fluff up as much, like all purpose flour cakes do.
Topping the cake with a chocolate glaze or chocolate ganache is a nice idea. Well, my choice will always be dark chocolate ganache so I used it to top the cake. Also, I sprinkled milk chocolate shavings from top to finish off.
- Whole Wheat Flour - 1 cup
- Cocoa Powder - ¼ cup
- Baking Soda - ¾ tsp
- Baking Powder - ¾ tsp
- Salt - ¼ tsp
- Yoghurt/Curd - 1 cup
- Canola Oil/Vegetable Oil - ¼ cup
- Vanilla Essence - 1 tsp
- Milk - ¼ cup
- Brown Sugar - 1 cup
- Boiling Water - ½ cup + 2 tbsp
- Chocolate shavings - ½ cup ( to garnish)
- For Dark Chocolate Ganache : Chopped dark chocolate - ½ cup
- Fresh cream / Whipping cream - ⅓ cup
- Condensed milk - 1 tbsp
- Butter - 2 tbsp
- Preheat oven at 180 degree celsius.
- Grease and line a 8 inch round cake pan and keep aside.
- In a bowl sift in all the dry ingredients, whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and mix well using a hand whisk.
- Now in another bowl mix in the wet ingredients, yoghurt, oil, vanilla essence, milk and mix until well combined. Use a hand whisk or electric beater.
- In a pan bring water to boil, add in brown sugar and let it dissolve in the water. You will get a dark brown liquid.
- Now slowly add in the dry ingredients mixture alternately with brown sugar & water mixture into the wet ingredients. Gently mix using the cut and fold technique.
- You will get a thin batter, do not worry, it should be like that.
- Now pour the batter in the greased pan kept aside.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in a preheated oven at 180 degree celsius or until a toothpick pricked in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Once the cake is done, let it cool down for a while and them transfer it to a wire rack for further cooling.
- To prepare Dark Chocolate Ganache, heat butter and cream and stir till it boils, remove from flame and add chopped dark chocolates and condensed milk. Now keep mixing with a spatula until all the chocolate melts and you get a shiny dark chocolate ganache. Adding condensed milk is your choice and optional., I added it for extra glaze in the ganache.
- When the cake cools down, pour the dark chocolate ganache on the cake and spread with an offset spatula.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings or sprinkles from top.
- Refrigerate the cake and then serve.